Home Page

Pupil Premium/FSM

Pupil Premium and registering for free school meals 


Some of the funding schools receive, called Pupil Premium, is based on the number of children who qualify for: 

  • Ever 6 free school meals (pupils recorded as eligible for free school meals at the time of the October census, or at any point in the previous 6 years) 
  • Children adopted from care or who have left care 
  • Looked-after children 
  • Ever 6 service children (Service children who have a parent who services in the HM Forces) 


We use this money to employ and train additional staff to support children in the development of their learning and social skills. This helps children to maximize their potential. Part of the core funding schools receive is also determined by the number of pupils eligible for and claiming free school meals. More details about how much the school spends pupil premium can be found on our website


Should you qualify it will therefore be advantageous to your child / children and the School. If you are eligible but decide for your child / children not to have the meals, they and the school would still benefit from the extra funding. It may be that your circumstances change during the time your child is at the school and you may become eligible for Free School Meals.  


You may be entitled to register your child / children for Free School Meals if you receive any one of these benefits: 

  • Income Support 
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit  
  • Child Tax Credit combined with both a household income below £16,190 per annum and are not entitled to Working Tax Credit, or 
  • Universal Credit 


If you think you qualify, you can apply for free school meals via the City of York Council’s Parent Portal using your existing account. Alternatively, a form is available from the school office or by contacting the City of York Council’s Schools Services Team on 01904 551554 or via e-mail at 


If you are no longer in receipt of Working Tax Credit and your circumstances have changed or are about to change you would need to contact the helpline to obtain new proofs on 0345 300 3900. If you are in receipt of income based Jobseeker’s Allowance you would need to contact them to obtain a letter stating the start date of your benefit. Further information can be obtained in confidence from the School Office or from School Services at City of York Council on 01904 551554.